Customer Alert: Scammers Claiming to Express Advance America Target Maine People
Business offers strategies for avoiding pay day loan and commercial collection agency frauds
News supplied by
Nov 13, 2014, 05:50 ET
Share this short article
SPARTANBURG, S.C., Nov. 13, 2014 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ — Advance America, a nationwide provider of payday loans as well as other economic solutions, has become conscious of an innovative new revolution of frauds focusing on customers in Maine. These scam performers, posing as Advance America representatives to gather cash from naive customers, come in no method connected to the business. As a result of state laws, Advance America doesn’t presently provide loans that are payday Maine residents.
In the last couple weeks, in specific, scammers have actually contacted Maine residents claiming they have been pre-approved for a financial loan,
Then asking them to buy a prepaid debit card or cable cash as a “processing fee” or “good faith deposit. ” In other situations, scammers seek to get on “unpaid” pay day loan debt, usually threatening arrest or appropriate action or demanding individual economic information within the phone. Scammers went so far as sending residents loan that is fraudulent with the Advance America logo design.
“Scammers usually utilize the trustworthiness of a genuine, respected company to con victims from their cash, ” stated Patrick O’Shaughnessy, president and CEO of Advance America. “Legitimate payday loan providers such as for instance Advance America are very controlled at both their state and federal degree and won’t ever utilize the variety of fraudulent and unlawful strategies used by scam music artists. “
Advance America urges consumers to determine the caution indications of monetary fraud and follow these strategies for avoiding loan that is payday commercial collection agency frauds. If people suspect being scammed, they ought to report it instantly to regional police force also to the lending company that the scammer claims to express. If you have been contacted by some body claiming to express Advance America, please phone 888-310-4238.
Discover signs and symptoms of a scam
Federal legislation strictly regulates just just how bill that is real and loan agents may do company. The federal Fair Debt Collection techniques Act (FDCPA) particularly forbids loan companies from being abusive, unjust or deceptive in wanting to gather a financial obligation. What the law states especially states debt collectors cannot threaten customers with jail or arrest time if they do not spend their bill. If somebody claims you may face unlawful prosecution if you don’t instantly wire them cash, it really is most likely a scam.
Scammers might also claim you to get a prepaid debit card or cable cash as a “processing cost” or “good faith deposit. Which you have already been pre-approved for a financial loan, after which need” Others may actually be identification thieves out to get the individual or monetary information.
Steer clear of Scams:
Along with focusing on how loan providers and bill enthusiasts can run, customers should take steps to also protect by themselves, including:
- Never ever offer private information such as the Social Security number or banking account information online or higher the device without confirming that you will be using the services of a genuine loan provider or bill collector. To confirm, phone the establishment straight back making use of an understood number, like the true quantity noted on your declaration or in the straight back of the credit/debit card.
- Be dubious of every e-mail with urgent demands for individual economic information. If a message demands instant action or makes upsetting or exciting false statements, it really is most likely a fraud.
- Verify business licenses whenever trying to get that loan on line. Genuine loan providers will show state licenses to their sites to verify they are full-service, certified lenders complying with state and laws that are federal.
- Never wire cash or offer prepaid debit card information up to a loan provider claiming you’ve got been pre-approved for the loan and must make a short re re re payment as a “show of good faith. ” Legitimate lenders try not to offer approvals ahead of application and never need faith that is good.
- Keep anti-virus, anti-malware, and spam e-mail security pc computer computer software as much as date on all of your computing products.
- Preserve accurate documentation of most debt that is outstanding and consist of loan provider contact information.
- Regularly check always your bank, credit and debit card statements to make certain there are not any transactions that are unauthorized. Likewise, look at your credit file (using Equifax, Experian, or TransUnion) every four months for a basis that is rotating credit history in many cases are among the first places where signs and symptoms of identification theft or fraudulence will be.
- If some one draws near you claiming you borrowed from them a financial obligation, need they supply written evidence of your debt due to the fact legislation calls for – particularly if it really is for a charge a fee do not recognize.